Before I settled on serving the Whole Roasted Garlic spread alongside my homemade Blooming Herb Bread as an appetizer for a small dinner party John and I hosted last month, I briefly considered making the Hungry Girl’s Caramelized Onion Fillo Bites. Never having made the appetizer recipe before, I whipped up a half-batch of the onion bites the week before the party to help me decide whether they were guest-worthy or not.
The onion bites were very easy to prepare and assemble. I had the onion caramelizing on the stove while I was in the kitchen preparing other food for that night’s dinner, so the time factor of caramelizing onion was not of particular concern.
John and I taste-tested the onion bites as an appetizer before our dinner, and we both enjoyed them. The combination of creamy cheese, sweet onion, and crunchy fillo shell was an enjoyable one. I gave the onion bites a respectable 3 stars, but I decided I would not want to serve them to guests when I was preparing just a single appetizer. I would be more likely to include the onion bites in a party menu in which multiple appetizer choices would be present.
Caramelized Onion Fillo Bites
2 cups chopped sweet onion (about 1 large onion)
1 tsp chopped garlic
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
3 wedges The Laughing Cow Light Creamy Swiss cheese, room temperature
10 frozen mini fillo shells
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Bring a large skillet sprayed with nonstick spray to medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic, salt, and cayenne pepper. Cook and stir until slightly softened, 3 – 5 minutes.
3. Reduce heat to medium low. Stirring frequently to ensure onion doesn’t burn, cook until browned and caramelized, 20 – 25 minutes.
4. Transfer onion to a bowl. Add cheese wedges, breaking them into pieces, and stir until melted and evenly mixed.
5. Place shells on a baking sheet and evenly distribute onion mixture among them.
6. Bake until shells are lightly browned, about 8 minutes.
Yield: 2 servings (serving size: 5 fillo bites). Per serving, 5 PointsPlus.