I was excited to see my mom’s cast-iron grill pan in action, having given it to her for Mother’s Day. I did not leave the cut sides of the tomatoes down long enough for grill marks to appear, but the bottoms of the tomatoes had very nice grill marks by the time the tomatoes were done.
I used part-skim shredded mozzarella cheese in place of the string cheese. To keep the PointsPlus values the same as the stated recipe, I only used ½ oz of cheese per serving, but my mom and I both agreed that more cheese would have made the grilled tomatoes much better. However, the fresh basil added a lot of flavor, and the tomatoes still earned 3 stars. Next time, I would use more cheese even if it means more Points.
Caprese-Style Grilled Tomatoes
1 stick light string cheese (I used ½ oz part-skim shredded mozzarella instead)
2 TB chopped fresh basil
1 large tomato
Optional seasonings: salt, black pepper, garlic powder
1. Break string cheese into thirds and place in a blender or food processor — blend at high speed until shredded. (Or pull into shreds and roughly chop.) Transfer to a small bowl, and mix with basil.
2. Cut tomato in half horizontally. Carefully scoop out and discard the inside of each tomato half, leaving a hollow shell intact.
3. Bring a grill pan sprayed with nonstick spray to medium-high heat.
4. If you like, sprinkle tomato halves with optional seasonings. Place tomato halves on the grill pan with the cut sides down. Cook until slightly softened, about 2 minutes.
5. Flip tomato halves. Divide cheese-basil mixture between tomato halves. Cover (the lid doesn’t have to match the pan, but make sure the lid is large enough to cover the entire grill pan–I learned this the hard way!) and cook for 2 more minutes, or until tomato has softened and cheese is warm.
Yield: 1 serving. Per serving, 2 PointsPlus.